Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Winter Finale Time: Now What Do I Watch Until January?

It's the most wonderful time of the year-not! Winter Finale Time stinks. That's when all my favorite shows take a break, leaving me with nearly nothing to watch. I guess it takes the place of re-runs. Where back in the day a show would slide a re-run every now and again, now shows run all new episodes and then take a break for a month. The month of December is a busy time so I get it, but with the invention of DVR it's all about tape now, watch at your convenience. Well I am conveniently bored and I have nothing to watch!

Let's talk about how some of these shows ended before the December hibernation. First my favorite, How to get away with Murder. Annalise has the best plans! I mean she can get out of anything. Now this one did cost her a bullet to the belly, but jail might be worse. The way that was set up, I thought it was going to be more of an accident, where one of the students just has a gun that goes off. This was better, and something I didn't see coming. The set up was perfect, everyone wanted to kill her before that moment. It was fitting that Wes pulls the trigger. Now she tells him to shoot her in the leg, but he aims a little higher. He is angry and I can't wait to see where this goes when the show returns.

When it comes back we can expect it to focus on Wes. I am not sure how I feel about this move. I think you have to really love Wes, and I don't. I hope the show keeps it interesting with the other characters as well. Making it too Wes heavy could be a mistake. We did see in the Winter Finale episode that Annalise knows Wes' real name, and she knew him before he came to law school. So is she related to him? Was she a friend of his mothers? What does she know about his mother's death? And is he going to law school where she teaches because she wants him there?

While you think about that, let's talk a little Grey's Anatomy. The winter finale did not wow me. I feel bad for Alex who can't seem to get his timing right. The last episode before the break showed him proposing to Jo who is trying to break up with him. I know people want to root for this couple. Jo is so insecure, and she just gets in the way in my opinion. I really do think the writers should let him find happiness with Meredith. It may be weird for the people who love him as "her person," but for those who believe your partner is your person, it sees right to have them be together. The rumor mill is pushing Meredith and Riggs, but I don't know if I can get behind that. Right now Meredith is supporting Owen, who hates Riggs. Speaking of Owen, that's another character I just don't get very excited about. Now he is having all of this trouble dealing with Rigg's arrival at the hospital. We will have to deal with the fallout of that, and I am not sure that I care. Bring Christina back to take him away-please.

Love love love Maggie and her sex (relationship) with the intern. Can it last? Who knows, who cares, it's so fun to watch. Her character is a breath of fresh air. I really enjoy her on the screen and how she pulls everyone together because she doesn't have all the baggage weighing her down. I also love that Callie is dating the doctor that killed Derek. I really loved all those tense moments with Meredith over turkey. It was perfect. Seeing Meredith face those emotions was great! I still feel like her character is stiff and disconnected --even after all of these years.

Since we are talking Shonda Rhimes drama- let's talk about Scandal for a minute. As I have said in so many of my blogs, it really only needs a minute. I have said it before and I will say it again, is it possible that this show is going nowhere fast, and I am still on the train to nowhere. Why am I still on this train? What am I waiting for? President Grant is a weirdo so far this season. He moved all of Olivia's stuff, treating her like he owns her. It was uncomfortable. He had a psycho look in his eye. I didn't like it. For those of you rooting for Olivia and Fitz I think you need to give up, because it just isn't hot anymore. Millie is shining brightly, and that's better than whining drunkly. Papa Pope is still pushing buttons, and Olivia finally got a new sofa. Hmmm All I want for Christmas is the old Scandal back. WRITERS: start connecting some dots, and making this show watchable. Fitz and Olivia- on again, off again, doesn't cut it. He is a jerk, and she is a selfish brat. It's time to be Gladiators again. Please someone take out the white hats and put them on.

Winter finales, Winter blues. I think one leads to the other. In the meantime I will find some joy catching up on my cable shows. In cable land there is now such thing as Winter finale. Homeland and Affair are still steaming it up, and getting it done.

#HowtogetawaywithMurderrockedthewinterfinale
#MeredithandAlexsittinginatreeGreysAnatomyABC
#ScandalABConatraintonowhere
#bringbackthegladiatorsScandalABC


No comments:

Post a Comment