Tuesday, October 27, 2015

The Walking Dead: People die every episode, but this one really hurts!

There aren't many original cast members left. The group we have followed from the beginning is getting less and less, and it has been a while since we lost one, until last night that is.  I would warn you that spoilers are on the way, but my guess is that's why you are here. We should get right too it, just pull off the band-aid. Glenn is dead. It was a very shocking moment and he didn't go peacefully. We saw what appeared to be his insides, being ripped out and feasted upon by several walkers. I say "appeared to be" because as we have learned from watching many television shows over the years is, things aren't always what they seem.


Courtesy: AMC.com

Ok maybe I have been reading too many tweets. That's where fans are in denial. The ones who believe Glenn was able to make it out. They think more people fell on top of him, and he was actually the middle of that zombie sandwich. So it's someone else's guts you are seeing in that close up shot. At first thought, you have to say, "What that is crazy! Of course he's dead, he fell into hundreds of zoombies." Your gut reaction was there was no way Glenn could have gotten out of that mess. But then the optimist inside you, "the Glenn lover," if you will, says why the close shot? Why not go wide and show us his whole body?

Maybe that's just writers and producers keeping their options open. I am also reading the tweets from those who think Maggie will be pregnant. A little Glenn to give her something to live for. I don't know how I feel about another baby growing up in this situation, but Judith seems to have done ok. It wouldn't be bad idea, it would give Glenn something to come back to. (ok I will stop feeding all those optimists)

The thing I appreciate about the Walking Dead is in the world they created people have to die. It sucks, and it really sucked to see Glenn go, but it's all part of the story. We see people die every episode, but we just glaze over. We didn't really know them, their character wasn't developed. Then we experience a loss like Glenn's. It brings us back, reminding us what a good show this  really is. The writers made us love Glenn. So his loss was tragic for us. Some of us cried. I couldn't believe my eyes.  We still have to see Maggie and Rick, Carol, Daryl and Carl react. Then there is Michone. She let him go. They split up, against what her initial instinct. I think Glenn's death will affect her very deeply.

On another note, Daryl breaking protocol and driving off. I am not sure what that was all about. I hope this isn't foreshadowing. Daryl questioning what Rick wanted and doing his own thing. Now he did eventually turn back, but I am wondering if it means more defiance to come. Then there is Rick surrounded in the RV. I don't know about you, but I really like Rick in all my episodes of the Walking Dead, so he better get his ass out of that RV. I seem to think if he just ran fast, and made some moves, like I tell my kids on the soccer field,  he should be able to get out of there. Only time will tell. Can't wait until next week.

#makeaminutefortheWalkingDeadAMC
#RIPGlenntheWalkingDeadAMC
#walkingdead @walkingdead_amc

No comments:

Post a Comment