Sunday, January 26, 2014

Downer-ton Abbey, Mary and family could really use a pick me up

So I am still hooked, don't miss understand me, but Downton Abbey is quite a downer so far. I mean it's one heartbreaking scene after another. It doesn't appear anyone can catch a break. I love the idea of misery, especially when it involves some of my favorite characters, but I just can't take it for too long. I am anxious for tonight, hoping for the story lines begin to show some light at the end of this dark tunnel.

Let's begin with Lady Mary, we know her life turned tragic last season when she lost her husband. Now we much watch her suffer without him. She barely touches her baby, and can't function socially. As this season unfold we see her heal a little, opening up to more responsibility around running the Abbey, to protect the best interests of her child. She responds to a man who is very interested in her, but unfortunately for him it is too soon for Mary to move on. Fortunately for Mary the  man's proposal brings a smile to her face. Something we haven't seen in a long time. Ah there a little light.

So we can't discuss Downton without talking about the sexual assault of Anna. Mrs. Bates is deciding not to tell Mr. Bates, and that makes our heart hurt every time we see them together. The happiest servant couple in Downton isn't very happy right now, and that means neither are we. We are still waiting to see if Anna is pregnant. It seems to make sense knowing how these things go, but this show may decide to take a different turn and let the damage end with the assault.  I have a feeling we will be waiting for this light for a while.

Maybe we should talk about Edith. What is that girl doing? I know we want her to be happy, but I think the little talk her aunt gave her last episode was foreshadowing. I don't think Edith is living on easy street, no matter what her man, or her heart, tells her. I feel for her. She seems a little desperate for happiness. I guess that's what some people like about her. I am finding a hard time watching her give her heart to a man who wants to become German so he can divorce his crazy wife and marry Edith. I just have a bad feeling about all of this, and the way things are going... dark cloud hanging over everyone... i have a feeling her light is about to go out.

Since we are speaking of darkness, let's talk about poor Tom Branson and Daisy. Not together of course, but separately, they are enough to make us cry. All you have to do is look at them, and you see feel sad. Tom is still missing Lady Sybil, and Daisy just can't find love. She rejects Alfred advances in the beginning, only to think she might love him after he has moved on. She is just one step behind. I am hoping they bring in someone who takes a liking to her. A liking she recognizes from the start. As for Tom, I think it may be his time to move on, although the baby he has with Lady Sybil makes that hard. I had read at one point he might be a love interest for Lady Mary, but I am hoping that isn't the case. Tom and Mary should be friends.

So I am sure there is some light at the end of the tunnel, but it looks like we will have to wait for it. I am not against it, but I do hope it doesn't take the entire season. #DowntonAbbeyweremiseryhassomuchcompany

No comments:

Post a Comment