Monday, October 24, 2016

The Walking Dead: All I Can Say Is WOW!

I held my breath the entire episode because I couldn't believe what I was seeing. My stomach still hurts today because of what I saw. If you don't want to know -- don't read any further, because we are going to have to talk spoilers.

The Walking Dead Season 7 premiered last night and it was violent, it was gruesome, it was emotional, and in my opinion it was very well done. Instead of opening with who dies from the wrath of Negan, it kept you guessing for quite some time. You'll remember last season ended with Jeffery Dean Morgan's character putting Rick and all of his friends in a semi-circle. Negan forced them to stay on their knees while listening to his crazy tirade about how things were going to be from now on. To prove he was now in charge, he told the group he was going to kill someone and that's how Season 6 ended. It would have been easy to show us who he killed right in the opening, but instead the episode made us wonder who was really gone, who's sniffles and screams we were hearing in the background, and was there still a chance everyone was getting out alive? No chance, in fact those who made are still alive might be wishing they were dead.

It took about 15 minutes before we see Negan select his first victim. He took his bat, complete with spikes, and crushed Abraham's skull. Abraham wasn't my first guess, but I can see why he was chosen. Abraham was big and strong and he got the job done, but he hasn't always been the easiest to control.  I could see Negan seeing him as a potential threat. When you look at a group, trying to pick out people to bully, Abraham doesn't really fit the stereotype. In fact, I think Abraham has squashed a few bullies in his time. With that said he made an easy target, and Negan took aim.

Abraham's death was hard to watch. The screams of the others as they see their friends brains splattered everywhere was hard to hear. Negan used so much force during the beating that you see Abraham's blood fly onto Rick's face. That blood remained on his face the entire episode.
Courtesy: AMC
You see close ups of the others and the tears slowly rolling out of their eyes. They don't say a word, but they moan and cry as it's all happening terrified of what will happen next. The camera focuses on Rick and through his eyes you see the story unfold. Through flashbacks you see moments Rick had with Abraham and the others. At first I thought the flashbacks were telling us that Negan killed everyone. If I had time to think about it, I would have found that hard to believe, but since I was too busy holding my breath and screaming "oh no!" in my head, I just kept watching. It took the second death for me to look away.

The blow Glenn took to the head was absolutely terrible. We watched him struggle to say his final words to Maggie as she watched the life slowly leave his body. His death was not quick, and it was not painless. Negan made sure he suffered. Before he died he told Maggie he would find her. It was a touching moment for a couple who deserved a better ending. It's too bad viewers had to get over his almost death in Season 6, only to have to deal with his slow, gory, tragic death before their very eyes at the opening of Season 7. At one point you saw just his hand twitching, talk about brutal. And then we had to watch Maggie sob with snot going everywhere. Then the rest of his friends/family carry away what was left of his body. All I can say is, God Speed Glenn.

It was a good start to the newest season and I am eager to see where it goes from here. I am hopeful we don't have to hear too many of Negan's speeches. I love Jeffery Dean Morgan, but I don't need to hear his say the same things over and over again. I get it, he's in charge now. Everyone belongs to him. I look forward to more great moment from JDM, especially they day someone takes Negan out. I hope his bat with the spikes plays a pivotal roll in that moment.

#wowthewalkingdead
#ThewalkingdeadIWILLFINDYOU

+The Walking Dead  @walkingdead_AMC




No comments:

Post a Comment