Monday, March 3, 2014

Daryl, Daryl, Daryl So Good To See You Cry

So I am not sure how to start this week. Walking Dead had it's moments, but as I thought I was liking this get to know the character episodes, last nights did not do it for me. I guess it's because Beth is so annoying. Come on you know you agree. Thank goodness she found Daryl because otherwise she would be Zombied by now. Frankly at this point, that isn't a bad idea.

Daryl has been nothing but a fighting shell since the prison debacle. You could tell he was angry, but he continued to fight the good fight and keep Beth safe. Finally in this episode "annoying Beth" gets to him, and he breaks down. I do believe he cries, although I didn't look close enough for tears. He confesses he is so withdrawn because he feels he is responsible for what happened at the prison, and he feels if he would have seen it coming he could have saved Herschel. Beth comforts him and the two of them bond.

It's a good moment, because you feel from now on they are going to move forward together. Instead of fighting each other, they will work to stay alive helping one another, learning from one another. Beth needs to learn survival skills, and Daryl needs to learn people skills. It is something the two of them can gain from being together.


Bonding instead of fighting begins new chapter for Daryl & Beth

At first I thought the end scene was a little cheesy, the two of them sticking their middle fingers up at the house while it burned. After sleeping on it, I have decided it is symbolic because it shows you even though Beth has been through a lot that has forced her to be an "adult" she is still a child. (I always think of the middle finger the result of an angry punk kid, or a immature adult.) Daryl questioned if he was going to join her in this rebellious action, and in the end he did, and it made him smile. I think Daryl has been a man forever, and it felt good to flick the bird as the flames burned away any resemblance that shelter had to his boyhood home. 

This episode confirmed what you already knew, Daryl did not have it easy growing up. From the beginning, when you met his big brother Merrell, you knew both men had suffered a hard life. This episode you see Daryl go through this shelter, and point out things that remind him of when he was growing up. He points out the dumpster chair, and then the containers next to it, where you spit your chaw in "after your wife tells you to quit smoking," and the newspaper which he refers to as the internet. So Daryl was poor, and life was hard growing up (no surprise). I just think it was necessary for him to share his story with Beth, because her upbringing was so different from his. As they bond, you can feel they are becoming close. If they never found anyone else, they could be intimately involved I think. It's not a likely pairing in the real world, but this is not the real world. 

I have to think the groups will be coming together, or at least I hope. Next week the previews show Maggie and her group again. So I am hoping they get a little closer to the place where Rick and Carl have found refuge with Michonne. I am thinking we could lose a couple of people along the way. We are gaining new characters so we should purge some of the old. We will have to wait and see what happens. I just think the canvas is getting a little crowded, and I still only care about the original cast. So I think it's time to thin the herd.

I also think it's time for Daryl and Carol to meet again. I know people have different opinions of Carol, but as I have said in the past, I am not mad at her. I think she is a strong female figure and she does what needs to be done so the group can survive. Now she is traveling with Tyreese and the girls. It's the perfect place for them, Tyreese needs the help with two young girls and a baby in his care. I do hope there is an explosion of emotion when they all come together. Bad and good should be explored, because things will never be the same as they were. They are going to have to air everything if they are to stay together and survive. 

I can't see the show continuing with all of these separate stories. It's a little boring at times, and for people like me, that have trouble remembering all of the things they have to do in a day, I really don't want to remember what happened the last time I saw Glenn (3 episodes a go).

All and all Walking Dead is still holding it's own. An enjoyable Sunday night, and I am looking forward to next Sunday night. At this point, that's all I can ask for.
#WalkingDeadDarylCries#AnnoyingBethIsTooMuchToTake

No comments:

Post a Comment